This week we will see how despite King Solomon’s great wisdom, he was still sinful and his sin divided the people of Israel. When Solomon’s son Rehoboam became king, the people asked for him to ease up on them, but Rehoboam listened to the bad advice of his peers and actually demanded more from the people. Because of this, the kingdom split into two: the Northern Kingdom of Israel and the Southern Kingdom of Judah.
King Solomon failed to lead God’s people perfectly. God’s people needed a better king, a perfect king! Through David’s family, God would send His own Son, Jesus Christ, to be a perfect King over God’s people forever. Jesus brings His people together and leads them back to God.
Help your kids understand that Jesus is our perfect King and when we love Him and follow Him and do what He says, we will glorify God and be part of God’s plan to bring people back to Himself through Jesus.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
- God knows everything.
- King Solomon’s wrong choice split the kingdom.
- David’s family were kings of Judah.
- Jesus was born into Solomon’s family.
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God.
- God split Israel into two kingdoms.
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God through His Word.
- God divided Israel into two kingdoms because Solomon sinned.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Proverbs 2:6-7 (Preschool: Proverbs 2:6)
● “Solomon Thought about Life” (Ecclesiastes 1:1-11)
Check out the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for more ways to interact with the Bible content each week.