King David had wanted to build a temple for God, but God had a different plan. God wanted Solomon to build a temple where God could dwell with His people and where they could worship Him. So God told Solomon to build a temple and Solomon obeyed.
Because God is holy, only the priests could approach God in the temple—and only if they followed specific instructions. Ordinary people had no direct access to the holy presence of God. Jesus changed all that. By His death on the cross, Jesus took away our sin. We can approach God intimately and individually when we trust Jesus as Lord and Savior.
Help your kids see how the temple shows the holiness of God and how we are separated from Him because of our sin. Remind them that the temple also points toward Jesus who came to bring us to God when we trust in Him.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
- God knows everything.
- Solomon built a temple for God.
- Solomon told the people to love God with all their hearts.
- We can worship God wherever we go.
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God.
- God chose Solomon to build a temple.
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God through His Word.
- God chose Solomon to build a temple where He would dwell with His people.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Proverbs 2:6-7 (Preschool: Proverbs 2:6)
● “Solomon’s Sin Divided the Kingdom” (1 Kings 11-12)
Check out the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for more ways to interact with the Bible content each week.