This week we begin studying the Old Testament judges. After Joshua died, the people were left without a leader and began to sin against God. God disciplined them and when the people cried out for deliverance, God sent a leader called a judge to rescue them. Later, when that judge died, the people sinned again and the pattern was repeated.
The judges saved the people from the consequences of their sin, but not the cause of it. God’s plan was to one day send a true Deliverer—Jesus, His own Son—to be the King of His people. Jesus saves people from sin forever.
Help your kids see that all of the judges were imperfect humans and they could not rescue God’s people from the cause of their sin, just the consequences.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
- God’s plan is perfect.
- God’s people did not always obey Him.
- God sent leaders called judges to help God’s people.
- God sent Jesus to be our Judge.
- Whom does God use in His plan? God uses people in His plan.
- The Israelites forgot about the one true God.
- How does God accomplish His plan? God uses people for His glory and our good.
- God’s people turned from Him to worship idols.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Isaiah 33:22
● “Deborah and Barak” (Judges 4–5)
Check out the Gospel Project for Kids Family Appfor more ways to interact with the Bible content each week.