As we continue exploring the Old Testament this week, we will encounter Achan disobeying God and taking something from Jericho after its defeat. Because of this, when Israel attacked Ai next, they suffered defeat. God helped Joshua uncover Achan’s sin, and God punished Achan for his sin.
The punishment for Achan’s sin was death. It seems harsh, but the Bible says that the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23) Because we sin, we deserve to die too. Jesus came to die in our place. When we confess our sins and trust in Jesus, we are forgiven and saved from spiritual death.
Help your children see that God takes sin seriously, but He also offers forgiveness and eternal life with God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
- We can trust God. God always does what is right.
- Achan’s wrong choice made trouble for God’s people.
- God loves people, even when they make wrong choices.
- God sent Jesus because He loves us.
- Whom can we trust? We can trust God.
- God punished Achan for his sin.
- Whom can we trust? We can trust God to take care of us.
- God punished Achan for his sin. Then God fought for His people at Ai.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Joshua 1:9
● “Joshua’s Final Encouragement” (Joshua 23:1-24:28)
Check out the Gospel Project for Kids Family App or the Big Picture Cards for Families for more ways to interact with the Bible content each week.