This week we will step out of our study through the Old Testament and briefly turn our attention to the last week of Jesus’ earthly ministry. We start with a look at the triumphal entry, when Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey. The crowds that day welcomed Him as King, but they didn’t really understand what kind of King He was.
Jesus was the Messiah spoken about by the prophet Zechariah: “Look, your King is coming to you; He is righteous and victorious, humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey” (Zechariah 9:9). One day, Jesus will return to earth on a white horse as King over everything. (Revelation 19:11)
Help your kids see that Jesus was first the suffering servant when He came to earth the first time, but when He returns, He will be the conquering King.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
- Jesus is alive.
- Jesus is God’s Son.
- God sent Jesus to earth because He loves us.
- People and children praised Jesus as their King.
- Who saves us from our sin? Jesus saves us from sin.
- People welcomed Jesus as their King.
- Who saves us from our sin? Only Jesus saves us from sin.
- People welcomed Jesus to Jerusalem as their King.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Luke 24:5-6
● Babies & Toddlers and Preschool: Luke 24:6
● “Jesus’ Crucifixion and Resurrection” (Matthew 26:36–28:10; John 18:1–20:18)
Check out the Gospel Project for Kids Family App or the Big Picture Cards for Families for more ways to interact with the Bible content each week.