My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline
and do not resent his rebuke,
12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.
Prov 3:11-12 NIV
- God’s discipline can be gentle or harsh
- God disciplines us to teach us to hate sin; God’s discipline is for our own good.
- God only disciplines us as much as is necessary.
- We can respond quickly and positively toward discipline or we can be stubborn and refuse to learn easily.
1. Discuss what it means to “despise discipline” and “resent rebuke”. Discuss what causes us to despise discipline and resent rebuke.
2. Discuss why discipline is good for us and is an act of love. Give some practical examples and encourage your child to give some as well. Discuss the virtue of responding to gentle correction in order to avoid harsh discipline.
3. Ask your child this week to notice how he reacts to discipline and correction. At the end of the week, ask him to evaluate his attitude toward discipline and correction. Pray together with your child and ask the Lord to give him a positive attitude towards correction.